Thursday, September 22, 2011

ABC easy as 123

Despite the fact that I am a music teacher, at one of the schools I teach at I am required to teach core curriculum material on Tuesdays. With the older students, we make up songs to help them remember the facts that they've learned in class. (side note: "What Do You Do With A Drunken Sailor?" is one of the most fun melodies to make songs to!) With the younger grades, however, I am forced to get a little more creative.

This week, kindergarten focused on letters and colors.
Each student came up to the board to write a letter. Then they had to think of a word that started with that letter and I wrote the rest of the word out for them. You'd think writing on the board was candy with how excited they got.

1st grade took it a step further by having to write out the word themselves.
They picked out a letter magnet from a hat and then had to come up with their own word. We ended up with a lot of names. I may have to challenge them more by not allowing that. (mwahaha)

A 5th grader saw the magnet letters and decided to leave me a little note at the end of the day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment