Monday, September 12, 2011

"Are We Going To Play Instruments Today?"

I think I hear that questions at least once a day. Sadly, the answer is normally "No". The reason I tend to say no is because I do not like to be trapped in a room full of 15-25 children making noise. However, I know that instruments are a vital part of music. Plus, how can I expect to have 4th and 5th graders who can properly play instruments and read music if I don't let the little ones learn?

Solution: Make it a game  and take turns. If only one student is playing at a time, I can assess form AND save my ear drums!


Here's the Game: One student goes to the instrument table and picks whatever they want, but they have to know the name of the instrument and show me how to play it. Then they hand it to a friend who repeats the name and also plays it and then puts the instrument back in its proper place.

I was afraid that this would be boring, but my kindergarteners and 1st graders LOVED it! They asked if we could play again! Obviously I will have to eventually let them play more, but I think this was an excellent way to ease into instruments since it is the beginning of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment